Peninsula’s Best Christmas Show…
From Saturday, December 14th 2013 through December 31th, Christmas Tree Lane will be lighted each night from 5:00 pm to 11 pm
The row of houses on Fulton Street off Embarcadero Road was the last
street in Palo Alto in 1940 when four residents there gathered around
a bridge table one day and discussed the upcoming holiday season.
It was during that game at the home of Judge Edward E. Hardy that
one of Palo Alto’s longest standing traditions was born.
As a result, that holiday in 1940, the men placed pipes in the ground
at equal distances in front of the houses of the 1700 and 1800 blocks
of Fulton Street. They strung electrical wires along the street, and
then capped their efforts by going out and purchasing Yule trees for
each pipe on the lane. The pipes served as Christmas tree stands.
When the lights came on that Christmas in 1940, “Christmas Tree
Lane” came alive for the first time.
Ever since, Fulton Street residents have held closely to the tradition,
providing a strip of lighted trees and decorated homes unrivaled on
Palo Alto Times